September 5, 2013 3:30 PM
Textbook - Core Questions in Philosophy (5th/6thEd.)
Website - http://utsc.utoronto.ca/~seager/a10
Weekly exercises 5% total
2 papers 22% each
40 min midtermquiz 16%
Final exam 35%
What is Philosophy?
- Logic - Uses reasoning to solve problems
- Metaphysics - Existentialism
○ Why do we exist?
○ Does God Exist?
○ Is God omnipotent -> leads to paradoxes
- Histomology- how do we know things?
- Fundamentals - Philosophical labs
- General ○ Thought experiments -> think of situation,
- Conceptual Analysis use conceptual analysis to solve
What is an Argument?
- Statementsdesigned to prove a point
- Premisesrelevant to a conclusion
○ Premisesmust give good reasons to believe the conclusion
- An argument is deductively valid when: IF the premises are true, the conclusion MUST be true
○ This validity arises from the logical form of the argument
- There are only valid arguments. Ideas, statements=/= valid or invalid
"If you live in Toronto, you live in Canada
George lives in Toronto
Therefore, George lives in Canada"
"All spiders a