For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Latin America in Historical Political perspective:
Pre-Colonial Society and Power structure:
- Maya, Aztec, Inca
- Location: southern Mexico and Guatemala
- Organization top-down and authoritarian
- Known for scientific accomplishments
- Location: Mexico central valley
- Known for military prowess
- Tenochtitlan in 1935.
- Organization rigidly stratified, centralized power
- Location: the Andes of South America
- Inca: semi-god Inti as a sun god
- Known for Empire building
- Organization: highly centralized bureaucracy.
- Location: e.g. hunter and gather societies such as groups in the Amazonian
rainforest and the Mapuche people’s of Southern Chile.
- Organization: much more horizontal, based on kingship grouping
- Known for successful resistance against Spanish colonization (1641 treaty
between Spain and The Mapuche
Conquest and Colonial Society:
- 30-70 million native peoples prior to conquest in Latin America
How did they do it?