POLB81 GLOBAL ISSUES AND GOVERNANCE
Part II: International Cooperation
Week 4: International Organizations (Feb 8)
Readings: Mearsheimer’s “The False Promise of International Institutions.”; Bolton’s “Should We
Take Global Governance Seriously?”
Definitions: concept + significance/how it relates to broader themes in course/link to readings
and inclu. Author or main theorist) + example. choose 5/10 – from textbook and lectures
short answer/essay (3-4 pages) – questions related to tutorials
ex. mercantilism – changes in int’l structure of trade in Krasner’s readings..
ex. Krasner + Gilpin
ex. What did _(author/theorist)__ argue/talk about?
Hint: Krasner + mearsheimer
Bolton’s -- americanist vs.
- Great scholar
- In great controversy
- Argues that American foreign policy shaped and driven by pro-Israeli lobby (very
controversial); they said this lobby lead U.S. into Iraq
- American national interest structured to be same as Israeli national interest
What is the context?
- Post-CW; end of CW was around 1989-91
- America emerged as superpower after CW
- Talked about Bill Clinton and politicians that wanted to extend NATO to eastern Europe
to maintain international stability; U.S. debate on international institutions
Mearsheimer’s goal in this article:
- Do int’l institutions promote peace?
o Ex. NATO, EU, UN, AU, ASEAN, MERCOSU?
o Identifies two approaches/answers to this question:
Realist – NO (M is a realist)
Institutionalist – YES; M says there are 3 types:
(Bias in syllabus t