Lecture Section: LEC 01
Date: September 13, 2013.
Migration and the state
(D) States: a set of institutions that possesses a monopoly on rule-making and legitimate use of force
within a boundary territory – powers collectively termed sovereignty. (oxford dictionary of social
- centralization of power
- delineation of boundaries/borders
- bureaucratization (business of the state)
- cultural homogenization (ie. expressed in a standard, official language)
ie. Morals beliefs vs. actual laws.
(D) Sovereignty: the gov’t authorizes when you can ENTER and leave
(D) Nations: a group that exhibits solidarity in the face of other groups.
(D) Nationalism: an ideology that seeks to make the boundaries of states congruent with the boundaries
- thus, nationalism is therefore a political enterprise.
(D) Rootless cosmopolitan: ref Triadaf’s dad.
- right of exit, no right of entry.
People move because:
1) Individual choice (ie individual calculations (push pull forces, neo-classical economics)).
2) Exploitation (of poor by rich [Marxism]).
(D) Refugee: an individual who is being persecuted by those in power, a president or regime.
When persecution exists, the system falls apart and thus, becomes a push factor for residents of the