Lecture Note For PSYB45, Lecture 15
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Respondent and Operant Conditioning Together
-Operant and respondent behaviour can also both occur in behavioral sequences
involving positive reinforcers. As you can see in the behavioral sequence, the sound of
the bell will become both a CS doe a respondent response and an SD for an operant
Respondent and operant components of emotions
- Emotions play an important role in our daily lives. To fully understand this,
we examine the role of respondent and operant conditioning in four areas
1) The reaction that one feels during the experience of an emotion (such as the
“queasiness” in the pit of one’s stomach just before a job interview.
2) The way the one learns to outwardly express or disguise en emotion ( uch as
clasping one’s hands rightly to hige nervousness)
3) How one becomes aware of and describes one’s emotions ( ex! “I am
nervous” as oppose to “I am angry”
4) Some causes of emotions
The Respondent Component: Our Feelings
- The respondent component of emotions involves primarily the three major
classes of respondent! reflexes of the digestive, circulatory and respiratory
system. These reflexes are controlled by the part of our nervous system
referred to as autonomic nervous system.
- Example! Albert and the white rat experiment with the steel box and
Operant Components: Our Actions, Descriptions, and Awareness
- When you experience an emotion-causing event, your body responses with an
immediate physiological reaction and accompanying facial expression. Then
what happens? If someone was angry, they my clench their fist and swear, or
another person might breathe heavily and walk away.
- Operant conditioning I also involved when we are taught to describe and be
aware of our emotions. Ex! why are you so angry?
Some Causes of Emotions
- Presentation and withdrawal of reinforcers and presentation and withdrawals
of aversive stimuli constitute four major causes of emotions:
1) Presentation of reinforcers produces the emotion happiness. Ex!
getting an A on a test
2) Withholding or withdrawal of reinforcers produces the emotion anger.
Ex! waiting 2 hours at a doctors appointment, nothing coming out of
bending machine, etc.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version