PSYC18 Psychology of Emotion Lecture 1:
Tentative Midterm date = June 22 Wednesday
Emotions in Life: A bit of patchwork quilt
- Experience emotions all the time, in everyday life
- Ex: Movies, Fear of the unknown = Jaws, Blair Witch Project, Happiness, Comedy,
Emotion and Aesthetic Experiences: Emotion and Logical Reasoning
- Style of paintings t abstract, subjective experience
- Emotions are needed to make good decisions in life
- Has it been discussed and experienced throughout time
- Polar opposite to socio-cultural perspectives
- Culturally determined
Expression of Emotions
- Is it culturally determined?
Emotions and the Body
- Mind-body connect
Emotions, the Brain, and Cognition
- Moods and types of thinking
Emotions and Development
- Do emotions change
Emotions and Social Relationships
- Rely on other people to feel = pity, guilt
Emotions and Mental Health
A Short History of Emotions: Different questions addressed by historians:
1. Always emotions? t have people always felt it?
2. Nature of the phenomenon t experience? does sadness we feel now = sadness they felt in the past
3. Explanations t Have explanations we used to explain emotions changed over time?
To address # 1 (always emotions?):
- Look at myths and old writings.
- ARE EMOTIONS DESCRIBED?
a. The Epic of Gilgamesh t loneliness, love, revenge
b. The Iliad -
c. Confucius & Mencius t bull feels fear
d. Greek mythology t- the gods represent OR control emotions
- Olympian Gods are very emotional = Aries - anger hatred, war, Athena t desire to protect others,
Dianesis = ecstasy, wine, dance etc, Jealously and Pride
- µ]v}vYnot emotional, very rational and logical, order
- What religion to follow?
- vv}vY social class
- Olympian (higher class, have means for luxury) vs. Orphic mystery (lower class)
- Be emotional, live your life there is no afterlife, indulge in luxury
- Work hard, do not feel emotions, take you away from living a good life, will not go to afterlife
Emotions in life: a bit of patchwork quilt. Experience emotions all the time, in everyday life. Ex: movies, fear of the unknown = jaws, blair witch project, happiness, comedy, Emotion and aesthetic experiences: emotion and logical reasoning. Emotions are needed to make good decisions in life. Has it been discussed and experienced throughout time. Rely on other people to feel = pity, guilt. Are emotions described: the epic of gilgamesh j loneliness, love, revenge, the iliad , confucius & mencius j bull feels fear, greek mythology j- the gods represent or control emotions. Olympian gods are very emotional = aries - anger hatred, war, athena j desire to protect others, Dianesis = ecstasy, wine, dance etc, jealously and pride. l z ;not emotional, very rational and logical, order. Olympian (higher class, have means for luxury) vs. orphic mystery (lower class) Be emotional, live your life there is no afterlife, indulge in luxury.