PSYC18H3 Lecture Notes - Gordon Allport, John Locke, Juan Luis Vives
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Psyc18 lec 4
- Kurt Lewin – stressed the interaction of person and environment. Behavior is a
factor of its environment.
- Aristotelian approach – separate rules for different kinds of motion.eg earth and
- Essentializing – ranking of intelligence. Eg hangs the IQ label around your neck. –
these qualities are essesntial to you. Attached to you
- Whereby a person object of event is seen to have a central quality inside of it that
defines it. And there is no room to change that.
- Purpose is built into the system – teleology
- Galilean mode of thinking – more dynamic – the persons behavior will be shaped
by the qualities they have and the situations they are in.
- the situation is fundamental in understanding emotional events.
- lewin - iF we want to study something in the lab, the lab must be a recreation of the
world out there. The laboratory must be a microcosm of the real world.
- Durkheim – anomic suicide – the person feels totally isolated with their world.
- the history of emotion
-aistotle – ‘passion’
Ludovicus Vives – passiones – very intense, overwhelming. Passive, reacting to your
world. Also can be disruptive
Discursive Space – the domain in which people talk. People use language in differnet
eras in different ways.
Murray 1888 – emotions – moving out of somewhere to somewhere else. The word
came to mean a moving , stirring of a physical sense.
1. Affective Process 2. Feelings 3. Emotions
- Simple feelings are attached to sensory excitations. (sensations (externally))
- Negative organic feelings – More internal
- Activity feelings – fundamental to emotion – Moving away from the gut to the
- Moving into the social context – sentiments and attitudes – disposition
towards something. Moral aesthetics
- Persisting moods.
- Pathological affects – they are trapped in that emotion, state
- Temperaments – different from moods. Beyond mood. Trans-situational.
Doesn’t matter on situation. Its their disposition. More like a personality
Emotion always has a piece of the mind and a piece of the body involved.
The situation is there and must ALWAYS be interpreted.
There is an inverse relationship between expressive behavior and visceral activity.
Some cultures are more disposed to emotional expression – facial expression and
The visceral system and the inhibitory system are inverse.
Ulcers are casued by built up restraint – Expressivemenss vs visceral activity.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version