CHMA11H3Y – PRA04- Tutorial 1- 05/18/2011 Name: ________________________
Short Answer Questions:
1. List the 5 differences between sigma and pi bonds.
Sigma bonds (σ) Pi bond (π)
2. What is the difference between conformation and isomers?
3. What is the order of repulsion between electron pairs?
4. Differentiate between intramolecular (bonding) forces and intermolecular forces. List the
intermolecular forces from weakest to strongest.
5. Using VSPER theory, determine the appropriate electron geometry, molecular geometry and bond
hybrization for each molecule below. Lone electron pairs are not included. CHMA11H3Y – PRA04- Tutorial 1- 05/18/2011 Name: ________________________
Formula: ICl 4
6. Nancy determines that XeF has 2n electron group geometry that is trigonal bipyramidal and
consists of three electron pairs. She concluded that the bond angle that exists between
fluorinexenon- fluorine would probably be 120º. Nancy was wrong. What part of her logic is
inconsistent with VSEPR theory?
7. Categorize the following as either polar or non-polar:
SF 6 H 2 2 C 2 4 Cl3CCH 3
PCl 5 CH 2l 2 NH .3
8. Which of the following substances would you expect to have the highest boiling point:
C 3 8 CO ,2CH CN3 Explain. CHMA11H3Y – PRA04- Tutorial 1- 05/18/2011 Name: ________________________
93. Bromine can form compounds or ions with any number of fluorine atoms from one to five. Write
the formulas of all five of these species, assign a hybridization and describe their electron and
103. The species NO , N2 , NO2, in wh2ch N is the central atom, have very different bond angles.
Predict what these bond