Purple text – Prof’s Speech
PSYB01 – Lecture 1
Slide 1 – Why Learn Research Methods?
- Become a better consumer of research
o Psychology study says violent video games makes kids riskier drivers
o Does Facebook make you fat?
The above are articles on example studies; we study methods so that we can
question the procedures, findings, etc. of the study to determine if we believe
it or not
- Research is built on previous research
- Often used in work settings
- Used in making policy decisions
Slide 2 – The Scientific Approach
- Have an observation/insight develop a hypothesis (a prediction of what you think you will
find) testing of hypothesis findings
- Previous findings, insights, and theories contribute