Psyb30 Lec 7
The (7) Up series – To show the continuity and coherence of personality
- Continuity of Personality – Do indiv differences in some atribute predict
individual differences in that same attribute at some later point in time? (X1 -
- Coherence of Personality – Do indiv differences in some attribute predict
indiv differences in some other attribute at some later point in time? (X1 ->
- Differential continuity –is independent of normative changes in trait level.
- How early in life can we see personality consistency?
o Freud – age 5 or 6
o William James – set like ‘plaster’ at age 30
Meta analyisis – Averaging findings across studies
Roberts & DelVecchio – Consistency increased as a function of age.
- The older you get the more stable you are.
- Consistency decreased as a function of time interval
- (longer time = les consistency)
- The differential (rank-order) continuity of traits emerges in childhood and
peaks around the age of 50, but not at a level high enough to conclude that
our traits at some point become set in stone.
Coherence of Personality – The inferred consistency of some underlyting attribute
despote observed change in its behavioral expression
Caspi, Elder and Bem – frequency & severity of temper tantrums in children
Although our underlying traits are theorized to remain constant, their correlates can
vary across life course.
Heritability – The proportion of OBSERVED VARIANCE in a group of individuals that