PSYC12 Lecture 7
• Stereotype threat – fear of being reduced to a stereotype
• Intelligence testing
• Intelligence is highly heritable
• High correlation between parent and child IQ
• IQ of identical twins is highly related, more than fraternal twins
• IQ of identical twins reared apart is less related than IQ o identical twins reared together
• IQ of fraternal twins is more strongly related than the IQ of regular siblings
• IQ of adopted children is more similar than unrelated individuals reared apart
Nature vs. Nurture
• Heritability index = 0.50 (may be as high as 0.65)
• Both nature and nurture contribute to intelligence
• Do between group differences have genetic component too?
o No, between group differences may be caused by different factors than within
o There is interaction between nature and nurture, whether the biology is allowed to
flourish is dependent on the environment
• Are tests fair?
o External bias – white person score predicts something different than black person
Underpredicts achievements for marginalized group
Suggesting there is some bias
o Internal bias – does the test predict cultural knowledge?
Is that what the IQ should really be about?
o Black children adopted by whit