Martin Luther King Jr.
- Things have changed considerably from time back then. Not have gone to a place where
we’re free and not judged by our colour of skin, our clothing, etc. We’re still judged based on
- By product of what we learn from the world. Doesn’t mean it’s right nor it can be changed.
- Prejudice all around.
- 1990s, tootsies, ethnic group in Rwanda were killed in 100 days/. (1 million people killed in
only 100 days. Compared to holocaust, where 6 million people were kill over a few years)
- Shared language, culture. Decided that the other group wasn’t good enough. Prejudice
- Mass rioting in streets of Jakarta. The violence was not violent, stored were stolen from
(owned by Chinese people). 1-3% of Chinese-Indonesian, perception that they didn’t belong
and blamed for economic crisis. (bias, prejudice)
- Prejudice is not happening in Canada/US. Easy to find an example
- Islamic people wanted to build a Mosque in Houston in an unused area, none the less,
people were opposed to it. Islamic can’t eat pork products. Pig races: offensive to Islamic
- Worried about traffic/drainage problems (excuse to cover the racism) If a Walmart were to
be there, people would most likely not oppose to it. Symbolic/modern racism.
- Any comment section, within a few lines, you’ll see racist comments.
- Rue: character from “Hunger Games” described in the book as people with darker skin (fair
to conclude that Rue is African)
o Fans of book when movie came out, racist comments began.
o People seem to have harder time to empathizing with people when they aren’t part of
the same group.
- He won north trophy. Voted by consensus, voted as best defense man.
- People racist to him are not considered racist. Hide prejudice behind legitimate concerns
- Black president, for many is a dream coming true
- Steven Colbert: racism is over we live in post-racist America.
- Dave Chappelle Show
o Pushing the lines for prejudice and racism
o Quit the show after 3 seasons, felt he couldn’t live with himself, wasn’t sure to what
extend he can take it. Singled out a skit that he felt was over the line (the one being
watched in lecture)