Three personal themes
- Adapting to our worlds (adjustment)
- Finding meaning in our worlds
- Finding beauty in our worlds and expressing ourselves in our worlds
Locating ourselves in space, time and history
- Space: The video first zooms out from a picnic scene and then, in the second part, zooms in
- Time: Time in this video is not shown in a linear way, but in a logarithmic one. Travelling
through orders of magnitude means that time is slowing down by a factor of ten each time.
In a linear movie, our presence on earth would simply not appear. Humans have been here
for the last 1 million yrs in comparison to 4500 million yrs (age of earth). Humans would
only appear in the last 0.06 secs in a 5min video, if viewed linear
- Experience of time = relative rate of change between you and your world.
o “Throwness”: thrown into the world at a particular time and space “existence”
o Realization of where we are in the universe. Culturally speaking, where are we now?
Our era: appearance of Google – total access of all knowledge outside of our
Umwelt: surrounding physical/organic worlds; how do we merge with it and how
do we separate from it (e.g. welcoming chair/bed vs. unwelcoming chair/bed)
Mitwelt: world with others; some people are more social with feelings of
alienation towards outside; can be with or without; move in spaces,
Elgenwelt: world with oneself; separate oneself from world, can’t think of self as
separate from family. I am nothing without anyone else. My responsibility to
- Cave era, time