Lecture 8 Study Questions
Roseman’s Cognitive Structural Theory
1. Describe the Situational State of appraising events
2. Describe the Probability way of appraising events
3. Describe the Agency way of appraising events
4. Describe the Motivational State of appraising events
5. Describe the Power way of appraising events
The Social Constructionist Perspective
6. Explain what “Emotions are a socially constructed syndrome” means
7. Describe Jim Averill’s view of emotions
8. What is a syndrome?
Components that tend to occur together:
9. What are subjective experiences?
10. What are expressive reactions? 11. What are patterns of physiological response?
12. What are Coping Reactions?
Emotions are “Transitory Social Roles”
13. What is a role?
14. What does emotions as social roles mean?
The rules of emotions are learned
15. Describe the social construction perspective that focused more on the social self
than the personal self.
16. What does the term “passions” imply about emotions? How is this wrong?
17. Emotional behaviour is engaged in to realize particular ____________ and
Social Functions of Emotions
18. By what means are social norms maintained in the regulation of social behaviour?
19. Describe emotional lexicons and their cultural importance