PSYC18H3 Lecture 1 Notes January 12 , 2012
Where are we now? (Themes)
- Where’re we now in our lives in terms of friendships, social status, relationships
- Where’re we now in our work in terms of
- Where’re we now in our science? Following or thinking critically?
Locating ourselves in space/time
- Space: Logs of 10 out into space and into the microscopic world, how insignificant everything is.
History: (not included in lecture version)
- This is a sample of twitter traffic for one month before and after political action that took place
on May 15, 2012, in Spain.
- You see the small amount of connections prior to that and the explosion on the 15 . The video
is made by people working on complex systems and high-performance computation at an
institute in Zragoza called BiFi (BioFisica). They are serious.
o How communication has changed in our society
o During a political action, the communication among those involved are increased
- We haven’t been here a long time as a species
- We should think critically about experiments and ideas (His example: interpreting the bible)
- Existentially: Define yourself by what you do, thrown into a life and we adapt
o (e.g. Trans-genders feel like they are thrown into a body that is not their own)
- Different notions of worlds
o Umwelt (German): surrounding physical/organic world
o Mitwelt: World with others
o Eigenwelt: Relationship with oneself
Where are we now?
- Chauvee cave?
- Ideas of values moving slowly: It’s for all generations, older generations don’t want to adopt
- The ideas your parents or grandparents hold have persisted over many many years
- Things are changing more rapidly: Industrial revolution, stability is disappearing, self-doubt
(Who am I?)
- Internet: Time and space collapse, the world is everywhere now, time used to be past, space
used to be over “there”, now we are in space and time together as a whole PSYC18H3 Lecture 1 Notes Januar