Psyc18 lec 4
- Kurt Lewin – stressed the interaction of person and environment. Behavior is a
factor of its environment.
- Aristotelian approach – separate rules for different kinds of motion.eg earth and
- Essentializing – ranking of intelligence. Eg hangs the IQ label around your neck. –
these qualities are essesntial to you. Attached to you
- Whereby a person object of event is seen to have a central quality inside of it that
defines it. And there is no room to change that.
- Purpose is built into the system – teleology
- Galilean mode of thinking – more dynamic – the persons behavior will be shaped
by the qualities they have and the situations they are in.
- the situation is fundamental in understanding emotional events.
- lewin - iF we want to study something in the lab, the lab must be a recreation of the
world out there. The laboratory must be a microcosm of the real world.
- Durkheim – anomic suicide – the person feels totally isolated with their world.
- the history of emotion
-aistotle – ‘passion’
Ludovicus Vives – passiones – very intense, overwhelming. Passive, reacting to your
world. Also can be disruptive
Discursive Space – the domain in which people talk. People use language in differnet
eras in different ways.
Murray 1888 – emotions – moving out of somewhere to somewhere else. The word
came to mean a moving , stirring of a physical sense.
1. Affective Process 2. Feelings 3. Emotions
- Simple feelings are attached to sensory excitations. (sensations (externally))
- Negative organic feelings – More internal
- Activity feelings – fundamental to emotion – Moving away from the gut to the