Another perspective on social development
- What are some of the challenges to understanding what processes contribute to our
sense of self and social dev?
Complex array of emotional and cognitive abilities contribute to our identity and
1 person perspective
Experience of self is constant
Experience of group is constant
APE GENIUS (NOVA SOCUMENTARY) ON FINAL!!
- Africa – making spears like our ancestors
- What is it that makes us human? How different is the gap between them and us?
- Chimps supposed to be afraid of water but these chimps go for a dip holding on until
he overcomes his fears (wild chimps never seen playing like this)
- Emotions thought to be humans are being found in apes
- Study: placing a peanut in a tube and the chimp solved it by using the water as a tool to
float out the peanut
They have to understand that they can use water as a tube
- Chimps eating habits:
Particular taste for meat (bush baby)
Catching them by making and using spears take distinct steps in a premeditated hunt
(sharpen, stab, sniff etc)
How does a chimp reach that stage?
- Most of the spear hunting taking place during the rainy season
- Routinely makes and uses deadly weapons to catch and eat food
- What does this reveal?
Has spread throughout much of the group scientific definition of culture (sharing
Young watch their parents and over the years acquire that behaviour have to be able
- Apes live among ppl they copy humans over time
- Sophisticated skill-set for copying
Have to be able to know enough of that goal to share that goal
Know enough about bodies and other bodies to line them up
Slot machine for apes built and loaded with a grape
To get it ape must load the disk so that it drops; move a handle
Ape learned the sequence of the events
Whether the other chimps will learn this technique... At one point there was only one chimp that new the solution and then spread
through the grp
Other chimps in another cage that saw this happening was able to learn this
learning by imitation key for culture which was thought to be uniquely human
- 2 yr old chimp mother touches forehead to check for fever and baby dies
Is the mother grieving or in denial? mother carries the baby around for weeks
- Tools for fishing for termites Goodall
- Other chimps had more sophisticated ways in fishing termites
- Cooperation to catch meat which is key in human culture
Chimp knows food hidden under a stone
Researchers swap a heavier stone
If two chimps know about the food will they work together?
In repeated trials no chimps coordinated
But swap in a person over time they would cooperate and after learn to ask for help
May ask for help but would it offer assistance?
- Chimps will actually help humans trying to reach for an out of reach