Psyc21- Lecture: Sept.10, 2013
- Study of social development is very impt, esp in children
- Attachment to mothers (infants can detect mother’s smell)
- 2 yrs can experience feelings of jealousy
- 8 yrs behv can be predictive of criminal behv @ age 30
- Orphans = lower level of <3 hormone (oxytocin)
- Having a close friend compensated for being rejected by peers
- Conflicted relationship b/w mom and daughter results in earlier puberty
- Relationship = impt & regulatory aspect of ourselves
- Model: early experiences may be more impt
o Not necessarily true (but they’re still important)
o Plasticity of social relations
- Social media devices affect socialization process
- Momophobia = fear of being separated from cell phone (@ 66% now)
- Role of biology/ nature & environment/ nurture
o Combination of both (not one or the other)
- Are kids passive learners or active learners?
o Social relation b/w child and parent always changing
- What is the appropriate unit for studying social development?
o Social dyads/ triads?
o Indiv alone?
o Peer groups/ siblings?
- Is development continuous or discontinuous?
- Is social behv result of situation or child?
o Is the child always constant? Or is it dependent on the situation?
o Usually: different behaviours in different situations
- Does culture influence behv?
o Yes: invid vs collectivistic cultures
- What are the variants across history?
o Ex: 1 day of school in 1995 vs. 2005?
o Gradual shifts through generations
(ex: multiple parents / two dads)
o Technological changes
o Mom working
o Wars and other significant social events change social development
o Economy, natural disasters etc will all affect social structures and behaviours
- Is social dev related to other domains?
o Yes !!
o Cognitive dev, emotional dev, language dev
- How impt are moms?
o Very impt, but so are caregivers, fathers, siblings, teachers, religious leaders etc
- Is there a single pathway of soc dev?
o Finding your own pathways
o Divergence of dev paths (Start the same but have different experiences - Equifinality different experiences but end at the same place
- Social dev began with Darwin’s work
- Psychodynamic perspect