← Studying religion by: McCutcheon
• Concrete analogies
o Metaphor Mapping
• Classification is a social act
• “Origins religion is the soul of civilization” vs. “Society is the soul
of religion” (Durkheim)
• The word ‘religion’ is a work in English
o Religion essence classification
• The world is unpredictable and therefore not always meaningful
o Threat of meaninglessness
• Divine being providing for this world that is cracking if we can’t
explain why these things are happening, there has to be some
reality that provides the answers that are hidden
o Basis of belief?
o Social institution?
o Activity- unreflective activity?
o Hoped for outcome