RLGA02H3 Lecture Notes - Cyrus The Great, Rabbinic Judaism, Christian Mysticism
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
- Rabbis play a huge social role. They came from the Pharisees. They kept the
traditional alive after the second temple was destroyed, and play an important part
in Rabbinic Judaism. Anyone can become a Rabbi. Replaced the authority of the
- The social role of synagogues became important. Replaced temple worshipping
and a key part in Rabbinic Judaism. Codification and scripture also became an
important social role, keeping the traditional alive. *Refer back to Rabbinic
- During the Hellenistic Era, judges were prominent. The women had more
- Kings had an important social role: King Solomon built the first temple. King
David established Jerusalem as capital.
- Messiah: During the time of severe injustice, they were looking for a savoir, a
military political and religion figure to come and save them and kill the unjust.
King Cyrus was given a Messiah title. The Essences believed a Messiah will
- Apostles: Jesus had twelve disciples they were his close group and leaders. He left
them in charge when Jesus was arrested. After he died, they had a missionary
aspect. They learned different languages to spread Christianity. After Jesus is
crucified, they are confused. The Holy Spirit comes down and they are able to
speak four languages to spread the message.
- Bishops: the supervising priest of a district called a diocese. Entrusted with a
position of authority and oversight. They claim apostolic succession. Ranking
priests. Bishop of Rome becomes the Pope and central authority. See Bishop
- different reformations* Look above
- codification of scripture (different gospels): they are supporting evidence of the
life of Jesus. Crystallized Jesus message.
- The late middle ages saw a remarkable flowering of mysticism
- Mysticism does not mean simply mean anything unclear, uncertain or mysterious
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version