SOCA01H3 Lecture Notes - Endangerment, Consumerism, Working Class Culture
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
SOCA01 –Lec 2
Diff=differ or difference
Sociology-social forces, history, politics, psychology, economic. Forced prod by society. Ex suicide is
influenced by social solidarity and social integration. In modern society, family is losing its power.
Anonymity- sense of being anonymous in the society.
Altruistic suicide- takes place in traditional post modern/SHAME/HONOUR society
- High social integration
- No crime in traditional society
- Deviant-away from norm
- Less deal of consensus(agreement)
- A lot of conformity
- Social control is v.low
- Individualism –responsible for criticism and creativity in the society
- shame and lose of honor has a almost no impact
- people are deeply committed to groups & hence commit suicide for that group
- this happen due to high social integration
People do a lot of training when under high pressure e.g in military to develop high solidarity (espit
RMC officer corps
Russel Williams – committed breaking and entering, raping & murder . he was a military guy, in
prison they took his stuff away bcz there was a high chance of him committing altruistic suicide.
Modern Japan- had most altruistic suicide. Only modern society has high social integration like in
traditional society. Two reasons:
1) Self sacrifice in war to save homeland –common in WWII
2) Don’t live up to the standards of the group.
In traditional society, we find loss of face or lose of self esteem.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version