SOCA01 – October 4
OCTOBER 22 – 5-7 PM
METHODS: VIOLENCE AND THE MEDIA
What television shows cause the most violence?
Barney assaulted many
Conjectures (ideas, some sort of idea you wanna go after, idea can come
Testing (takes it beyond common sense)
Refutations (you cannot prove things right, the theories that dominate are
those that last through the test of time, you can DISPROVE THINGS, not
Example: “there are all white swans” you cannot find all white swans, however you
can find a black swan or something else. You can refute a theory.
Predict to real world?
Example: We cannot predict the weather precisely
Ways of assessing the validity and confidence in our knowledge
1. Start with a question
a. Looking at violence: Does violence in the media lead to violent
2. Once you formulate a question..
a. You review the literature. Select a theoretical approach (fairly
developed or a primitive theory) and select a method (how you’re going
to do it)
3. Hypothesis: MOST IMPORTANT
a. Specifies a relationship between two or more variables (a testable
b. Example: observed aggressive behavior on television/video games
leads to increased violence in children.
Social Learning Theory
People imitate behavior of models
o Use similar other
o Use successful models
o Example: we would be imitating the behavior we see on television and
on video games o Example: Fraternity: In the movie, they are hazing the students, lied
down on the road on the dark and didn’t die. Two idiots did that, and
both were killed.
Phillips’ Suicide Study
1. Method: content analysis: front page suicides in California
2. Daily motor vehicle fatalities: before and after publicized suicide
3. Basic finding: 3 day after; there is a burst of car deaths three days after
4. “Daily fluctuation in motor vehicle fatalities for a two week period before
during and after publicized suicides” shows that 3 days after shows a peak
5. Detailed specification of effects: the # of publicity, the more number of
a. The time to death went down
b. Similar age and similar area
c. Suicide VS murder suicide: After murder suicides, the number of
people killing themselves/others went up
d. This provides the factual evidence that we will copy people we see.
6. We want to replicate research.
Phillips Boxing Study