Thursday January 16 , 2014
ACMA01- Week 2
What is knowledge?
Epistemology- theory of knowledge, with regards to methods, validity, and scope, distinction b/w
a belief that is justified and opinion, reference to limits and validity
What is knowledge? How do we know what we know?
Difference between opinion and belief, what roles does subjectivity play?
What social cultural influence the ways in which we know things? What happens when ones a
person known is in direct opposition to another person’s known?
Knowledge does not equal information
• Google is information
• Knowledge is how we respond to that information, carry out in our day to day lives
• We obtain information by consulting Google
• Information is ranked
• Top=top billing
Knowledge is information processed through a thinking human mind
• We are bombarded with info, but it comes knowledge with intellectual thinking
• Plato described it as justified true belief
Expertise; theoretical or practical understating of subject
• Awareness gained by experience of a fact, live reality of human beings, we make
knowledge when practice it, live it and think it
Role of university
• Social space which knowledge is stored transmitted examined
• Take that info process it in the human mind then report back to teacher,
We create new knowledge thru research analysis and critique
• We transmit knowledge when we engage one another in conversation, offer opinion,
critiques of our own work and respond
Entering the conversation
• Take in the arguments of other scholars, process and knowledge then evaluate Thursday January 16 , 2014
• Response with yes or no
• “evaluation steps”
• Why does it matter? What is at stake? So what?
• Conversation will allow you to become certain type of person
• Not learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think (Albert Einstein)
Engage knowledge in university