SOCA03H3 – Week 3
- Behaviour is a function at the social conditions under which it occurs.
o E.g. Lack of resources
- Pre-industrial family is extended
o Underlies the nostalgia
o The reality is more complex
- Industrialization leads to isolation for the nuclear family
o Is this good or bad?
- Births and Deaths
o About 1 in 3 make it past five!
Many women die in childbirth
- House hold size & composition
o ‘Good mothering is an invention of modernization’
Edward Shorter, The Making of the Modern Family
- Peer Groups
Urbanization - Movement to cities
o i.e. factories
- Family as haven in a heartless world
o Unit of consumption and affect
o Cult of true womanhood
Women as its keeper
Conclusion re: Families
- Richer is better
o A theme that will re-appear
- (seemingly) rational procedures that yield irrational outcomes.
Why the Resistance?
- Recall abou