SOCB44H3 Lecture Notes - Georg Simmel, Family Law, Barn Raising
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
SOCB44: October 22, 2012
- readings for today’s class pp. 12-132
- readings for next week’s class: pp. 132 – 148
- next week to get the midterm?
- Assignment = DUE DECEMBER 3 (See handout)
Urban VS suburban now rather than rural VS urban before
- simmel? See below
1846 to 1921 - European tradition
- Nucleus for the American urban sociology
- Sociology was born in Europe?
- About societies in general not just cities
Sought to explain the great transformation wrought by urbanization and
- marx, Durkheim, etc.
- urbanization and industrialization went hand in hand
- not really the case in the “south” or 3rd world countries
- Toennies ?
Gemeinschaft VS Gesellschaft
- two contrasting social life
- gemeinschaft = community; new rural way of life
- gesellschaft = association; new urban way of life
- ^ ideal types
o taken real life examples and purify them to take them and associate
them with each other
o comparisons with each other used in sociology
o how are you? Gemeinschaft = someone will stop and ask you this VS
gesellschaft = two of you will pass by and ignore each other
‘What do you want?’
- selling you something, religion/solicitation, drugs and sex,
mental health patients, etc. – most likely you are trying to get
away of them
- person is likely to be a stranger
unlike in Gemeinschaft – being friendly
- it is the norm and it would be rude/anti-social if you ignore
- you are likely to know the other person
- Gemeinschaft (GM) = sense of communalism
o responsibility to assist your neighbor and vice versa
e.g. barn raising VS insurance companies in gesellschaft
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version