- a vital part of modern life
- in the past, formal education only of interest and importance to a select few
o job skills learnt informally (self taught)
o most people did not finish high school
- contemporary (current) situation
o education is a crucial pre-requisite for a successful adult life
o young people, minimally, expected to finish high school
o university enrolments have never been higher
- why is education become of ever-increasing importance?
- What is education?
o The systematic, formalized transmission of knowledge, skills and
- Why is education similar to socialization
o Because of its emphasis upon the transmission of culture
- How is education different from socialization?
o Education is more deliberate, purposive, enterprise
o What we learn is school is not left to chance (compared to
o Education is formally organized
3 ways that school connects to society
o We leave (graduate from) the educational system with different
badges of ability (scholarly awards and whatnot)
o Educational selection is linked to inequality (people who get awards
are usually the