CRIME AND DEVIANCE
• Canadian national surveys reveal crime has bean among top 3
issues since the 1970’s
• Victimless Crime- ex. Drugs, prostitution, gambling
Someone wants to buy ex. Drugs, and someone wants to
* Law & order people say that there are no such things
as victimless crimes
• White Collar Crime- committed disproportionately by
people from middle and upper classes
• Edwin Sutherland- Looked at white collar crime
-Illegal acts committed by a person of respectability and
high/middle class/status in the course of his or her
-Includes: embezzlement, false advertising, tax evasion,
inside stock trading, fraud, unfair labour practices,
copyright infringement, unsafe working conditions,
selling unsafe products, conspiracy to fix prices.
• Street Crime(Uneducated Crimes)- Committed
disproportionately by people from lower classes.
-Includes arson, B&E, robbery and assault
EXAMPLES OF WHITE COLLAR CRIMES:
• Copyright Infringement- stealing intellectual property
Ex. CD’s, DVD’s (Pirating)
• Price Fixing- ex. Ford “selling” cars at a certain price, but the
market has to decide the price of things.
• Insider Trading-Make use of insider knowledge to profit
stock market • Berney Madoff- Stole around $50 billion from mutual funds
• Ponzi Scheme (Pyramid Scheme)- ex. You invest in
someone’s fund and then he pays you the 10% interest a year
with the new money he gets from the system. So you give him
the money, and he uses it to pay other people’s interest.
*He takes your money and pays off other people’s interest.
• Organized Crime- Typically has association with specific
• Chain of Command- When you issue commands at the top,
they go down the chain to the bottom.
-All bureaucracies have these.
• Specialties in Organizes Crimes:
-Debt collection (you can use a bat)
- Hit men (people who specialize in killing)
Omerta (silence)- you don’t say anything under any circumstances.
If you don’t, you’re dead
• Mule- Someone who will carry cocaine personally (sometimes
in a suitcase with a false bottom)
Who are the clients of organized crime?
-Respectable citizens (you & I)
-We keep organized crime in business. It supplies us with illegal
goods and services which are in high demand
-Organized crimes connect to the legitimate world through
Wrath and Corruption.
• Pavlov Eskavov- Corruption by wrath and corruption. • Loan Sharking- The people who loan you money are like
sharks. The interest on the loan is like 10% per day.
0.2% of organized crime’s income is from loan sharking
- Prostitution (the world’s oldest profession)
- 2.4% of organized crime’s income is from prostitution
- Porn- 4.4% of organized crime’s income is from porn
- Gambling- 5.2% of organized crime’s income is from
- Drugs- 87.7% of organized crime’s income is from drugs
Crimes Against Property & People
• Most serious crimes decreased or remained stable
• Property Crimes are called Common Crimes
-theft (ex. Shoplifting)
• Shoplifting is a “female” crime
Theories of Crime & Deviance
1. Biological Thesties
-Comes 1 in history