WSTA03H3 – Week 3
What does “radical” mean?
- Some definitions from the online Oxford dictionary:
o “(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of
something; far-reaching or thorough”
o “characterized by departure from tradition; innovative or progressive.”
- What is Patriarchy?
o A social system that is mainly male dominant
Doesn’t always have to be men/women, can be men/men.
- Focuses on the following areas:
o Challenging patriarchal thinking
o Freeing the female body
o Celebrating the ‘feminine’
- Challenging the patriarchal thinking
o i.e. “witch craze” or “witch hunt” in Europe (1480-1750)
Freeing the female body from patriarchal control
- Radical Feminism questions the ways which personal relationships have traditionally
been shaped and integrates the “love discourse” and the institution of marriage. For
Radical Feminism, “the personal is political”.
- Radical Feminism places a special emphasis on the female body as an area that has
traditionally been under patriarchal control (e.g. virginity, childbirth, female se