Lecture 5: Journalism, women and the News
- When we’re talking about women and news there are
three things we can talk about, women as news authors,
women as news subjects and women as new audiences.
Alisa Miller: Ted Talks
- Covering Britney is cheaper
- Not much coverage is dedicated to international news.
- Its not because we are not interested.
- The real question is the story of a worldview? What we
want for Americans in a increasingly global world
Naomi Klein: The brutal Calculus of suffering
- An Canadian activist, journalist and author
- Some blood is priceless and some blood is cheap
- It’s us that get to choose whose lives are important.
- Talks about how 9/11 and how we didn’t see much of the
things that went on elsewhere.
- We care about people who look like us more then people
- The people who make media never question process of
- The global ‘’ we’’ reaches into the homes of people who
are not apart of the London / New York network.
- They are not used and they can in turn become angry at
- We retire to live inside our advertisements.
- It sends a message that Americans care only about
Americans and no ones else’s stories are worth hearing
First Article: women are on but not in the news
- Mainstreaming: the idea that if someone consumes a lot
of television they may believe that that’s more of reality
then their own experiences.
- Women are being told in certain stories and that may determine what women reporters report
- Only certain types of topics are appropriate for certain
- Certain women defy the examples of what women
reporters are represented as. For an example Katie
Kirkuk, Barbara Walters.
- Women are more visible on the news more then ever but
are still given gender related roles.
- Women reported more human and health stories, men
reported more politics stories.
- Men were used more as commentators.
- Second Article: Women as news subjects
- Only 71 countries only 17% percent of the worlds news
subjects were women
- Mass media subjects are to make meaning not only
money, and what kind of meaning are they mak