Lecture 7: T.V Genres and Genders
- Television has taken a hit because of the Internet but it is
- People often describe reality TV as a guilty pleasure.
- There’s something pleasurable about peeking in on the
supposed reality of someone else.
- Pozner: Breaks down why reality television is horrible for
- Pozner: reality television is anything but unscripted.
- If you take reality television as reality then you take
women as catty. Bitchy, etc.
- You see things like the claws are about to come out, and
replay the clips of agony between women.
- There’s also a lot of racial and class division in reality
television, the Pole, the Jew, the Asian.
- They slide each other on the race; they also not only cast
but encourage racial slurs.
- For an example in the show lakeshore Toronto the racial
slurs contradict the multiculturalism of Toronto.
- Jessica Simpson, and Paris Hilton say not so smart thing,
reality television emphasizes not
- Women come off in traditional roles but not very good at
- Its boob powers and not brain power that gets you ahead
on reality television.
- Pozner: reality shows are not just mindless bluffs their
political and play on stereotypical gender roles.
Is sex and the city a feminist show?
- Its all about new York and Manha