ANT100Y1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Imagined Community, Canadian Identity
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Lecture: (National) Identity
Thursday, February 25, 2016
• (regional versions: western, Newfoundland, etc)
• "NOT American"
• North American
Who is Canadian?
• "Canadian" as used in ordinary language = a matter degree
• "What's your nationality?"
◦The question is normally not about citizenship
◦Immigrant citizens: "Canadian" and not, depending on the
◦Legal citizenship and practical citizenship: not necessarily
the same thing
◦Remember: anthropologists describe what they observe,
not what should be "correct"
• A group who fee and act like a community but don't know each
other face to face
• Benedict Anderson, Cornell University
• Canada's National! Sport Act (Bill C-212), PASSED may 12,
Sport as the Practice of Imagined Community
• Community must be practiced
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version