This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Feb 15, 2012 ANT204H1S - Appropriating Genomes: Genetic Anthropology
Human Genome Project
30-40 question – straight forward question
Race – DNA studies
No race: no consistent patterns of genes across the human genome exist to distinguish one
race from another
Ethnicity: generations in same geographic region: some alleles in common, but no allele will
be found in all members of one population and in no members of any other. There is more
genetic variation within ‘races’ than exists between them
Map of early human migration patterns. The genographic project, a global 5-year research initiative
launched by National Geographic and IBM, will trace the migratory history of the human species.
The dotted white line in the north is the ice cap at the peak of the ice age.
Genome: total collection of genes in a species
How is the database for genetic anthropology assembled?
Most based on DNA samples taken from 1000 0 indigenous people globally. Current efforst
to generate larger or more detailed database
o Genographic project
o Human genome diversity project
Should genes collection and human cloning regulated in government?
1. Genetic anthropology – combines DNA and physical evidence to reveal history of ancient
2. Most recent common ancestors - passed down unchanged to the generation
3. Fossil and dna migration
4. Chromosomes is passed from father to son – most mixed up, that’s why we remain differ by
5. Mitochondrion dna – passed from mother to child
6. Goal of this: mapping of human genomes – find genes affecting health, disease,
7. Human genome diversity: representative database on indigenous population
a. Suspected commercial exploitation
b. History of western colonialism – victims of exploitation
c. Seek goal of particular treatment
8. Exploited indigenous population
a. Potential for a new colonialism: corporate and gov’t interests to control the
molecular basis of the already exploited
b. HGDP anthropologists found themselves caught up with pharmaceutical and biotech
9. Inside job – watch the film
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version