Lec 7 Subcultures cont.
- Next test: whatever is covered since today
- Music, language, rituals, belief systems,
- 1950s = parallel culture
○ There was a gap between the two cultures (whatever culture parallel to)
- Protests, 'sit-ins'
- Chuck Berry = demonstrated that race did not matter
- There was a philosophical coalescence of ideas
- Counter culture
○ Music more complex and sophisticated, political
- No subcultures at the time (50s)
- First true subcultures
○ Heavy, punk, disco, grunge
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Dr. Frank-N-Furter:
- "Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - - erotic nightmares beyond any measure,
and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it."
- Idea of - Gothic, horror, animalistic, carnival
The music in itself is a subversive act
Yorkville - Bob Dylan performed here, a place where LSD and Marijuana was bought / dealt
Madonna - "Like a Virgin"
- Music video in Vienna
- Venice = most important carnival in the world, famous for their masks
- Lion = male, masculinity, verility
- She is full of Estrogen, she is her own woman
- MTV came out around that time
- Madonna was Italian, meaning 'a lady'
○ Rosary (religious)
- Icon = religious image (original meaning?)
○ Today we use the word icon = someone who became extremely famous (e.g. Elvin Presley, Marilyn Monroe)
○ Celebrities in the secular world
Venice is the most feminine city in Italy
- Rulers were both male and female equally
- high heels = elegance and sexuality and power
The world of carnival, if not more so than the world of the sacred
Chuck Berry - "Roll over Beethoven"
Horror and Sex:
- Became united in youth culture
- Pure Transgression: early punk bands - stage acts were carivaleqsue
- Bakhtinian theory
- Interplay of death
- Shadow culture -Goth, no light, focus on death and the dark
New wave and grunge:
- Milder form,
- Nirvana album (1991) - powerful, hardly punk, 'grunge' (garage)
- Today: punk is like Green Day
A subculture breaking away in style from the larger culture.
Often pegged as part of postmodernity
- What is gothic literature?
- Subculture, nihilists
- Subcultures inform the main culture, they are the carnivalesque mock the main culture
Lectures Page 1 - Subcultures inform the main