Lec 8 Miller 3 & 4 Readings
Miller 3, 4, 5 on final.
(0) Birth infancy Childhood Adolescence (Puberty) Adulthood Death (80)
Miller Part 3
- Jobs in youth
○ Have social value, not just economic
- Tradition - if you are in school, you're in school
- People have jobs for different reasons:
○ Just for the money
- Relationship of daughter and mother
○ Different generations
○ Relationship in the family
○ The family unit = crucial, but is changing drastically
○ Generation gap is gone?
○ Concept of maturity - has changed
○ Reflected in legal system, economic system ..
Joyce Carol Oates
- Family vs peers
- Peer groups replace family
- Conformity to family expectations
- Influence of peers to family cohesion
- Thursday nights? Friday night hangout
Louise J. Kaplan**
- Rite of passage
○ Do we have any?
○ Birth, graduation, wedding, defining age, funeral
○ Celebrated with a religious notion - e.g. baptism
- Are there any today in contemporary urbanized cultures?
- Why do older generations view younger ones as rebellious?
- Femininity and womanhood in adolescence
- Lack of formal coming of age rituals a problem
- Body image is important in females especially
○ Will I be accepted?
○ Will I be beautiful if I looked this way? Or that way?
○ What is considered beautiful?
○ Body image has become a problem period.
- A bigger body used to mean = healthy, rich - A bigger body used to mean = healthy, rich
- People try to be young: plastic surgery, implants, cosmetics
- Is adolescence different today that it was in the past?
○ The culture is juvenilizing
- Different view from Zimbabwe
- Relation of father and son
○ In some cultures is absolutely crucial
○ In all patriarchal cultures = father is the head of the family
○ Authoritative figure
- Speech between generation
○ Technology has diffused "emotional noise" between diff generations
○ Text-messaging is easier than face-to-face
- Growing up - what is it?
- The pop culture of youth (from Dr. Seuss to Hip hop)
○ Starts in childhood