Lec 9 Miller cont'd
Lec 9 Mille...
Final - only Miller reading tested (Part 3, 4, and 5) M/C
Miller part 4
- American inventor, scholar, politician,
- His view is romantic
○ He thinks that youths should separate themselves from the world (like the Buddah and Prodigal son? Stories)
○ Find ourselves on our own terms
○ Reading is a form of escape
- As a youth avoids society so he can read
- Eats by himself
○ Table, food, ritualistic thing
○ Eating by oneself = separating oneself from childhood
○ How do I define myself?
○ Who am I ?
Alfons Marcoen and Luc Goossens
○ Going to bed alone, thinking about events in life, and events of the present
○ Alcohol and drug taking are a escape
○ Loneliness is okay, but our society does not support loneliness
○ If you are alone you are a 'loser' in school
○ Institutions of marriage and companionship is a way to "solve" this issue of loneliness
○ "Cultures solve problems by implementing institutions"
- Suicide in youth
○ Talks about why young people commit suicide
○ Children do not (usually) commit suicide
○ Suicide is usually a factor of adolescence
○ Material benefits - not spiritual benefits in this world
○ The word comes from jazz scene
○ "beat nix"/ beat writers
○ Miles Davis "The Birth of Cool"
○ Jazz and youth, and then rock and roll, intrinsically intertwined
○ 'Roaring Twenties"
○ Fast jazz - now called "hot jazz"
○ Jazz as bodily music / sexual music
○ Cool jazz also became intellectual - meaning each musician in the jazz band (4 people?), bass, piano,
saxaphone, sometimes a trumpet
improvisation, on the spot based on a tune from a given piece
"cool" took this idea - meaning to improvise? Be who you want to be
○ It’s a look/ certain attitude "Don't mess with me", the walk, the talk, the look (dress)
○ There is a confidence aspect
- Media, violence and youth
○ Media affects one like a needle (direct)
○ Cultivation theory - violence in tv, is actually is a safety valve
- Incredible Hulk = symbol of what? - Incredible Hulk = symbol of what?
- Safety valve?
- Reality vs fiction (television has influenced this)
- Top Gear tv show - with cars?
- The electronic media will create a global village that will unite all of us
- Adolescence as a second infancy
○ You're not qu