Lecture 5 Association and Dissociation
- Association / dissociation
Association (continuity) Dissociation (Discontinuty / alienation)
- Express in contradictory and rigid ways
- Fluid and flexible - think about how it is played out
King Kong (1933)
- Carl Denim and his 'bait'/'gang'/'crew end up on a exotic island far away, and come into contact with a group of 'primitive'/'native' people
- They ask to trade 6 of their women for Ann Darol (the white woman)
- Apes and the theory of how humans are related to them
- Suggests social darwinism (hierarchical model - diagonal)
○ Primitive person (physically diff), closer to animal world, evolution is not just a progression, but it is a movement toward the white
○ Racialised landscape
○ Primitive-civilized thinking / dualism
- The chief of the tribe and Carl Denim have some similarities
○ They treat women as objects / system of exchange (commodities)
○ They value the 'golden woman'
○ The Chief in the tribe believes that the white woman (Ann Darol), is worth at least 6-7 of HIS tribal woman
○ Ape + primitive + civilized -> all value the 'golden woman'
○ Kong is discrimatory - he can tell what is real beauty and what is not
The scene where he is climbing on the building of NYC and in search of Ann Darol (who was blonde), when Kong finds a
woman sleeping in her room, he picks her up thinking it is Ann, but it turns out it wasn't … and Kong realizes this and sees she
is not as beautiful as Ann...and drops her (brunette and not Ann), and kills her.
- "It is beauty that killed the beast" (Carl Denim) - ending scene
Concept of a "Discourse" … (after reading week)
Franz Kafka (1883-1924): "Metamorphosis" (will be playing on stage)
- WW1 time
- Weird, bizarre, intriguing, profound story about Gregor Samsa who woke up as a cockroach
- Animal-human dualism/divide, complex, contradictory
- Problematize the dualism
- Post-structuralism, post-modernism
- Kafka … is he showing how absurd the divide is?
- It just happens… how? Why doesn't he want to reverse to original state?
- Gregor loses speech as a cockroach
- Is Kafka playing with Descarte's notion of thought and speech?
- Gregor - - Cartesian speech taken away from him, but he has thoughts…
Gilles Deleuze (1925-1995) and Felix Guattari (1930-1992) "Becoming-Animal" + Herman Melvill (1819-1891) "Moby Dick"(1851)
- "becoming animal" -> "rhizome"
○ Rhizome = non linear
○ Animal becoming
- Melville wrote a book ab