Lecture 8 love … affection
Christian the Lion … "Embrace of Love"
Animalscapes as moral landscapes…
- Moral explorations
- Proper relationship between the two
- Morals = come from latin "mores" meaning customs, everyday practices
- Ethics = formal critical reflection on values, philosophical
Moral exploration and moral economies...about?
What does it mean to be human?
To be animal?
Nature - culture
To be female or male?
Savage or civilized?
Free or domesticated?
Object or subject?
Primordial or derivative?
Authentic or artificial?
Second dualisms, relate to the nature-culture dualism
Biodiversity, hunting, conservation, etc..
Southern Kenya's Masai tribe, lions locked in battle - USA Today news
- Indigenous people impacted severely by colonial history
- Lions are an endangered species
- Masai hunt lions for ritualistic
Ernest Hemingway "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber"
- Mrs. Macomber is hunting for a 'real man'
- She sleeps with the hunter
- She is actually the predator in the story
Look at middle man
Being Caribou, 2006
- Their fat bellies were