LECTURE 1 – Sept. 13, 2011
Health and Safety
Review data notes = t-test, z-test, means, average, chi square test, standard deviation, etc.
Office hours: Monday 10:30-11:30 am (post general questions on discussion board)
Late penalty = 1/10 per day (worth 10% originally, drops to 9% day after, etc.)
- Hygiene Artifacts are dirty and can host bacteria/mold WASH hands before food, etc.
- Eye protection wear goggles to protect from flakes (from flintknapping), chemicals, dirt
- Back injury lift with knees, not just bending back
- Respiration protection wear mask when sieving sediments – dust particles, airborne fungi
- Cuts and burns wear gloves, apron, goggles – ex. protect when flintknapping
- Biological hazards proper disposal of faunal remains, wear masks and gloves
- Radiation hazards archaeometric labs sometimes use xrays, etc. – usually not a problem
- Handling chemicals label, handle, clean up and dispose properly only take as much
acid/solvent as you need, wash out beakers immediately, don’t leave unlabelled things around
- Chemical storage store in well-ventilated, cool, locked cabinets – don’t store acids and