Doors of Paradise:
• The Wool Merchants Guild (Calimala): paid for the beautification of Florence's
• took 20 years!
• self-portrait of the artist on the doors
• began to engage with the linear perspective
• Interior VS Exterior
• Exterior: more attention BUT interior changed/renovated : attention to the
DETAILS, careful harmonious structure
• Ghiberti was paid A LOT
• also lots of bronze was used (expenses)
• the system of linear perspective: adopted for certain biblical narratives
• => distances, multiple narratives, space not measurable though
e.g. Creation of Adam and Eve (background: trees: idea of distance...
• at the right of the painting: Expulsion of Adam and Eve from Paradise
e.g. Jacob and Esau:
• vanishing point: where all the lines connect together
• system of linear perspective (how the viewer sees it)
• multiple biblical narratives within the same panel
• also at the top: Esau(?) talking to God, at the bottom: she's giving birth to the
• at the top: scripture of Ghiberti (in praise of himself. he was such an asshole!)
• he said he's tried to "imitate the nature"
• reality seen in a work of art
• use of the mathematical knowledge
• doors where not installed where they were planned to be, the Guild wanted
them to be installed on the eastern wall of the baptistery, so that they face
• where all the guilds were
• specific use => exterior facade had to be beautiful. the guilds paid for the
sculptures and niches and such.
• each guild was given 10 years to beautify the building, or else they were
• it's kinda like a church!
• saints: protect the city AND protect the merchants and their money
• religious factor attached to the economics
Ghiberti: St. John the Baptist
• The Wool Merchants Guild (Calimala)
• very rich clothing (wool merchants -> advertise!!)
• kept the original gothic nishe
Naani di Banco: Four Crowned Saints
• Stone-carvers and wood-workers guild
• he was actually a member of the guild himself => honour of making the statue
of the patron saint of his guild • Four Crowned Saints (-> originally pagan????but Christianized)
• segmentation of the ground => ??
• use of the base in addition to the frame
• => saints carving...
Donatello <3 , St. George
• beautiful profile
• but looks so soft... + a little touch of colour to give the sense