Tutorial Sun and its NeighboursAst 101/ 17th of September
Frequency: a, c
b OR c FOR NUMBER 3
1 au is much less then a light year
earth is about 1 AU or 8 light minutes from the sun. mars orbits is about
1.5 AU from the sun. what the shortest possible travel time for a signal
between these two planets.
never mind its 4
jupiters moon ganymede is larger than the planet mercury. gangmede is
spherical and made mainly of ice if we replaced pluto with Ganymede,
we would call Ganymede:
Sun and its neighbours 9/19/2013 VENUS
Thick co2, atmospere, lots of possibly active volcanoes
• about the same size as earth
• run away greenhouse effect makes it even hotter than mercury: 460
• venus very inhospitable, 96 percent carbon dioxide, you know on earth
carbon dioxide is a green house gas, because of all that gas, venus is
super effective or trapping the heat from the sun its every where hot
enough to melt led,i four going to do fun space exploration history.
• give up on venus its a bad place.
• in addition to being super hot it rains acid, close twin of earth pretty far
off in some senses.
• wet planet covered in creepy crawlies
• unusually big moon
• only planet we have to live on.
megatons of co2=
very thin co2 atmosphere
• many huge extinct volcanoes
• was probably earth like in the distant past (i.e wet and warmish)
• many surface features appeared to be carved by water
• lots of sub surface water
• no life known to date.
mars has mount olympus on it three times height of are mount everest
this scar is like are grand canyon in us, bout the size of us expands with
this scar, grand canyon not even close to as big
curiosity takes a selfie on mars.
we know so many robots orbit around mars they watch one another.
• curiosity has found an ancient stream bed on mars, one of many pieces of evidence that mars was once quite wet.
iN BETWEEN ROBITS OF MARS AND JUPITER
many thousands or millions of "rubble piles"
material left over from the formation of the solar system, prevented
from turning into a planet by tides from jupiter.
tons of craters
largest planet in the solar system
• often called a gas giant, but its really more of a liquid giant
• thick atmosphere surrounds a gilt ball of liquid hydrogen
• >earth sized rock somewhere deep inside?
• has very faint rings
• many moons: more than 60 known to date
• you would have a difficult time of penetrating through core of jupiter if
• jupiter has around 60 known moons,
• one feature to remember on Jupiter is the great red spot, tis
considerably bigger then earth its a storm, and its been raging for 500
• gallileio first to see the big red spot
these bands on sur