interiors and atmospheres of the terrestrial planets
• Q: a small potato and large potato in oven for 40 minutes, which cools faster?
• A: small potato – cooks faster and cools faster (release heat rapidly)
earth and venus - thin crust on outside, large molten magma mantles
mars, mercury, moon - thick lithosphere (does not undergo plate tectonics)
• bigger or younger planet = geologically active
moon's dark spots
• dark because moon use to have thin lithosphere (impacts smashed the lithosphere)
• younger planet = thin lithosphere
• Q: an earth mass planet was found and it orbits closer to its start than earth, if its the same
age as earth, you'd expect it to have:
• A: about the same number of volcanoes as earth
• where do our atmosphere and oceans come from?
• Q: Which of these is NOT a source?
• A: earth's gravity pulling in gas from the solar nebula
◦ earth is not big enough, not e