Hesiod - Theogony
• Gaia deceived Cronus by dressing a stone as the newborn Zeus
• Raises the question of the omnipotent being
• Comparisons of Gaia to Odysseus - “resourceful”
• Eagle and liver
• Eagle as symbol for zeus?
• Liver as seat of knowledge?
• Prometheus deceives Zeus
• But Zeus apparently saw the trick, but chose the portion of fat and bone anyways
• Is this sort of a “bandaid”? So Zeus appears wiser than his father?
• Made pandora “to replace good” (385)
• She is a deception like the piece of meat
• Beautiful to look at but not what she seems
• Women then, are like the portions of meat?
• Hesiod has it wrong when he talks about the drones being women as we know they are men
and the workers female
Pindar - Tantalus
• Hieron delights in music: describes son at his table going from man to man
• Suggests that he and guests partook in singing as part of the entertainment
• Further evidenced by the instrument: the dorian lyr