Lec. 3 notes: Wed, may 22 nd
Couple philosophers (i.e) john lock.
what’s important is for each ppl to develop and give them the opportunity to contribute &
achieve their best
Eng. King taxing heavily, (time of colonial) in US, In June 1776, amid growing sentiment for American
independence and after hostilities with the British army had commenced at Lexington, Massachusetts,
Richard Henry Lee of Virginia introduced a resolution in the Second Continental Congress for the
colonies to collectively dissolve political connections with Great Britain, pursue foreign alliances, and
draft a plan of confederation.
US became independent, and therefore forms American constitution (Life, Liberty & Pursue of
Happiness) → ironically they had the worst system (slavery)
US think the country/society should be run by ppl with good education, family backgrounds etc.
Movement that formed Canada:
- Soon as those ppl settle in the US, they still have family in the Great Britain and wanted to move
them over, and 1/3 of those families moved to Canada.
- Canada also declared its will to become independent, and July 1 , GB signed the BNA (British
North American Act) agreement with Canada
- Canadian constitute: (Peace, ordering government) – lead formation of Canadian Hero:
Mounties or RCMP
Many Cowboy movies: represent individualism
- back in US they grew cotton & sugar crane
- Americans brought prisoners of war (Africans) and shipped them to Atlanta. Involved auctions to
sell these ppl as slaves (highest bidder gets the slave). Plantation owners bought these slaves
and make them work on the field. ppl felt Americans were hypocrites, inconsistent with US’s