- Attach via email by 5pm
- Citation format - MLA (or whatever format you are familiar with)
- Have a creative title
○ Here you tell the reader what your article is about and what your position is
- Opening sentence:
○ Goal is to entice reader
○ Rhetorical question… (don't ask "you")
○ Something to open up debate
Quote a statistic
○ Debatable sentence/statement
- Topic Sentence
○ What the entire paragraph is about
- Don't use the word "interesting"
- Get to the analysis and don't spend too much time on intro or summary
- The "Swimming and the Fear Factor" missed a lot of pathos
○ Passionate and pathos = MEMORABLE
○ Its not enough just to have one of - ethos/pathos/logos
○ Must have a balance or mix
○ Blend is more persuasive - the point of rhetoric
Article: "Swimming and the Fear Factor"
- First 4 paragraphs = anecdote/ story = subjective = bias?
- Anecdote intros = good hook and great way to get reader to relate to the issue firsthand
- Thesis = opinion (debatable topic) - argues safety
- Adding nuance adds texture - adds exercise
- The part where race and history in page 2 … seems irrelevant
- Paragraph on Cullen Jones = random… not connected to anything?
○ "non-sequitur" = another word for 'random'
- Poor structure
- Audience = parents
For exam - bring pencils! Write neatly!
Tuesday, June 18 last class, Exam review!!
- Textbook read pg.59-61
- If adjective = use hyphen
○ e.g. "….. Long-term job"
- If object or noun = never use hyphen
○ e.g. "job is long term"
FINAL EXAM details:
On exam: will be asked to identify the problem in the sentence, and fix it.
- How to fix:
Get rid of the problem punctuation
Separate into two diff sentences
- Chapter 44: Parallelism
Lectures Page 1 - Chapter 44: Parallelism
○ Parallel sentences "sounds good" / "flows well"
○ e.g. (p819) - "The development plan included apartment buildings, single-family dwellings, a park, and two new
○ When writing out a list - make sure each item in the list, are grammatically parallel
If begin with a verb - all must be verbs
○ e.g. (p821) - "The job requires initiative and leading others" -> "the job requires initiative and leadership"
○ (p823) - #6) Women impressionist painters included Mary Cassatt from the United States and