To the Lighthouse, Continuation – October 12 , 2012
• Stream of consciousness, set of different impressions
• “A symbol”, a sign, anything that signifies something else. Every word in every
language is a symbol.
• “cross”, signifier: the word, signified: the image
• Cultural and public symbols, particular meanings, change over time. The
swastika, was a fairly neutral symbol of power, WWII changed this.
• A peacock, is a natural symbol for prime. Natural symbols may become a cultural
• The function of symbol, uses a particular object to suggest an abstract concept.
“the translucence of the eternal…”, letting the universal shine through a concrete
• “Windows”, “skulls”, “wind”, even Mr. Ramsey’s “boots”. The lighthouse of
course is the main symbol, what does it mean?
• Safety, guidance, direction, the way home. Danger. Hope, harbor.
• A fixed point in the dark, an unattainable entity.
• Many things remain unfinished Mr. Ramsey’s alphabet, Mrs. Ramsey’s knitting,
• Imagination (pg 94), She meant