Sept. 12, 2012.
- Literary poetic function: whenever we are forced to slow down; operative in everyday
- Looking @ code = metalingual; if you don’t understand what the person is saying, we might look
@ the code
- Focusing on the addressee, you are focusing on the…
- Expository: formulaic, transparent
- Literary/experimental: certain kinds of fiction that you have to work hard to read
- Literature violates the norms of everyday functions
- Those who most earnestly denounce something, that is where their true interest lies
- Each vocabulary is a self-fulfilling prophecy
o We say things in a certain way that is selective about what is mentioned to convey a
message that may be received in a way we want it to.
- 2 types of terms: terms that put things together and terms that take things apart
- Analogy, metaphors, trope, et