May 30th 2011
Depictions of Philip
• Almost always driven by a disgust by hypocrisy.
• Also exposes that he does have a faith of his own , undercuts
assumptions that he is a man without God.
• Page 147 (July 28th)
• He doesn’t see religion as a set of duties.
• Steve doesn’t care about the rituals of faith , philip does the same
way , but uses art of access his faith.
• "Religion and art are almost the same thing - brining him to the
emotional pitch we call ecstasy"
• Philip - religion and art are the same thing
• Mrs bentley a little more superficial. Doesn’t understand depth and
gravity he brings to faith.
• Why is she so intent on hypocrisy.
• She projects her emotions on to Philip
• His indulgence in hypocrisy formed a bond between then.
• Page 20 (april 14th)
False Fronts = false identies (metaphor)
• False front as a metaphor , hypocricsy
• Reduced him to the status of helpless and needy , she treats him like
this , not enough to be his wife , but also his mother - he is far more
mature than she gives him credit.
• 117 ( june 22nd)
• She needs to construct him - like a helpless baby , allows her to care
for him , she needs him to be weak. (april 227th)
• Weaves a fail of marriage
• Supposed infidelity ( mrs.bentleys accusation is unreliable).
Could be artistically intrigued by her.
• Grieved by gesture of sympathy - as a woman has offered a consolitary
guilt ,doesn’t mean guilt necessarily, an orange girl was a prostitute.
• To give someone oranges , that mr.s bentley is labelling her a
prostitute- reaction of woman betrayed.
Mrs. Bentley the baby does not look like father. - date of gestation of
• 162 (august14th)- hears little laugh, taken medicinal , suggests an
erotic laugh…why doesn’t she open the door?
• Similar sound with paul, other laughs like it that don’t result in
• Refusal to deny the accusation
• No admission of guilt.
• Women construct their husbands • Mrs. Bentleys paranoia was based on something common.
Mrs Bentley as a Proto -Feminist
The oppressed is a spatial
• Marital - cant be a concert pianist
She makes a choice - throws things off and made everything about philip -
she is oppressed by social restrictions.
• Refuses to be reduced to a simple model of characterization - she is a
series of complex ironies.
Prisoner who imprisons " I've destroyed him"
• Watcher who is watched - by philip and towns people "windows as eyes
- a percipitanr clear in his eyes so he could see me in his life for what I
• She refuses to stay silences - she is decidedly without a name - we
never know her first name , gives an identity - attach herself to her
husband. Fundamental lack of identity.
• Refuses to stay silenced in the novel , namely he art of writing.