June 20th 2011
• The novel doesn’t only open a space for those marginalized in terms of
culture , other because of class and gender are also marginalized.
• Male and Anglo
• With the character of Alice - bring attention to a defining
characteristics of the city fo Toronto
• In some ways Toronto was domesticated - cultural revolution in china,
russian revolution - communism was at the forfront at the time.
• Patrick as an outsider, on the basis of class.
• Also actively works to alienate himself
• Nicholas - never any firm sense of identity , not only alienated from
history , never realizes how often Is watched by others - no portrait of
himself…oblivious , suggests something about him. Absent in historical
narratives . (Page 43)
• As constructed as characters , not only are nickolas and alice outside
of dominant narratives if history , but are marked by a sense of invisibility.
• How doe she give voice to the eccentric?
• Insects = immigrants
• Birds = actresses a kind of metamorphosis , thingschange and evolve,
he likes that idea of metamorphosis.
A male who will be recorded in history , not unreliable , not intensely the
kind we would expect from historical narratives, this narrator Is self
reflexive , recognizes the dangers of historical formulations. The ways in
way authoritive narratives , personal first person account..maintaining the
omnicient narrative voice but makign aware that it is creating a narative,
Although this authortative narrative voice is onmnicient , it recognizes the
• How are we accessing this scene? : we are reading it in a work of art
• We have a book critiquing art , but through art we are actually
engaging with it through a work of Art
• Ondatjee is brining attention to its own artifice the limitations of its
own artifice , but through this artfice we have acces.
• Attention through the puppet play
• Alice - becomees the voice for the disenfranchised
• Patrick accompanies them to watch an allegorical play
• An artiulation of suffering and terror of imigrating to Canada
• Language is the power to integrate and into the community
• Absence of power which is articulated through the immigrant
• What else would induce a kind of silence • Gesture as a form of communication - to communicate a flight,
communicate throughr gesture. The body becomes a form of
• page 145
• Taking story - to put together those who goes unnoticed
• Metaphysical process, putting together bi