ESS102H1 Lecture Notes - Convection Cell, Subduction, Asthenosphere
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
GLG 105 – October 26 th
Midterm next Wednesday November 2nd – Sample questions will be posted
Just from Lecture 7 to including Monday
Assignment Essay Formatting:
1. Pick one of the three papers – 2 paragraphs
2. Read the two short papers that talk about life on Mars and compare the two – 1
3. Comparison – compare what you have found out about the historical controversy
and the present one (about Mars).
Length: 2-3 pages double-spaced
References in the APA style
Due: 11:59 pm on Friday November 18th – submit electronically using the drop box on
Title it: SimoneDeanna.doc
Audience = someone else in this class
Read an article written about science (in scholarly journals) by scholars in the fields.
We’re not reading original papers, but papers that have been filtered by present day
We’re reading the summary arguments of people arguing for and against the life on Mars.
Determine the direction of magnetism in the rock by the lines – you can say how far
away from the pole the rock formed
3 key observations about oceans from 1950s
– earthquakes are not random
- mid-ocean mountains had a huge drift - central valley (boundary btwn 2 places)
- the poles move throughout time – magnetic anomalies (stripes in rocks)
Expanding the Earth versus Sea-Floor Spreading
60’s – traits of “critical thinking” and characteristics of a good scientist: reasonable
skepticism, being open to reconsider, trust in reason, judgement
Expanding Earth – Ott Hilgenberg – 1896-1976
German, 1933 The Expanding Globe, - earth’s expansion shows it getting bigger and
bigger (explains why the continents broke up)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version