FCS195 – Lecture 1 11-11-20 8:08 PM
Goal: Give a more complete idea of national cultures. France
• A way of life
• Expression of certain meanings and values at a given place and
i.e. punk culture = hair, fashion, music etc…
romanticism = music, painting, art, etc
How cultural movements are created and how they are interdependent.
We will be using blackboard for powerpoint presentations and all handed
I can read all the original texts in French if I want.
Exams and midterms
The final exam will mostly go over (90%) second semester material.
The midterm will cover everything up until that point.
Assignments Make sure to never email my work and if I ever do, to put the course code
Brief political history (1789-1968)
1789 French Revolution
• Declaration of human rights
• Beheading the king = Symbolic of refusing monarchy
1792 1ere république
• Ending a long history of Catholic monarchy
• Slogan de la république = “Liberté, égalité, fraternité”
• Very chaotic because it was a new system
1804 1er empire (Napoléon 1er)
• Expansion of the national territory through several
• Napoléon was a general and wanted to conquer
• Reestablishment of monarchy
1830-1870 Invasion of Algeria
1830-1848 Reign of Louis Philippe 1er
1848 2eme république
• Followed by a popular government insurrection.
1852 Second Empire (Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte ou Napoléon III)
1870-1871 Franco-Prussian War
• Loss of the Alsace-Lorraine region to Germany
1870 Third Republic
1870-1871 Famine in Paris
1871 La Commune
• Proletarian Revolution in the streets of Paris
1894-1906 The Dreyfus affair
• Accused of espionnag